Importance of Career Counselling For College Students
In the late 80s, an interesting trend was observed where career counsellors became effective. All of a sudden, people had the opportunity to meet a consultant who would guide them academically as well as professionally and elevate optimal satisfaction in both the domains.
To begin with, a career counsellor is appointed to provide numerous services to the students. They take a skill test to identify the academic strengths, provide workshops, training, and development in regards to their career possibilities. Furthermore, they serve as a guide for admission procedures to different colleges and universities and job placements.
They also provide information relating to the measures involved in studying abroad for higher studies. Some people tend to call career counsellors as career consultants due to their services.
Some of the duties performed by a career counsellor are mentioned below. Each of these services is strictly designed to target and facilitate college students.
- Determination of the potential: The world can be divided into two types of people. The first half of this category is full of those who have a vision in their minds about their future. They are career-oriented and highly ambitious. They have a purpose and a direction. The second half is full of those who lack all the things mentioned earlier. They live in a constant dilemma and have no concern or worry regarding their future. However, this is when the career counsellor comes in. They must identify the potential and strengths of students. They are trained in conducting scientifically accurate aptitude tests. Depending on the collected results, students are pushed in the highlighted direction.
- Student development:The primary focus of every career counsellor is to direct the student in the right direction by helping them identify their interests and core beliefs. It is only after students recognise their interests that they can understand themselves better. Hence, an important part of a counsellor’s job is to bring self-awareness to the student.
- Clarify doubts:Every student goes through a tough patch where they constantly question their abilities and self-worth. Despite the evidence, they refuse to acknowledge their intelligence. Furthermore, if they have the interest to try something new, they are afraid and unsure of themselves. Thus, a career counsellor aids in removing doubts. They don’t sugar-coat anything. They provide you the reality check you truly need.
- Support and motivation:Career counsellors essentially work as motivational speakers as an important part of their job is to motivate students in the right direction. They help calm the anxious students and bring hope in the life of those who feel that they have no potential. By building the morale of the students and giving words of encouragement, they help reduce the tension they’ve been suffering from. Contrary to popular belief, some attention and support help improve the overall academic performance of these students.
- Establish future goals:The key concern that students have when they meet a career counsellor is the lack of direction. They are conflicted and unable to conclude a decision. Thus, by visiting a career counsellor, they get the motivation and support they needed to make that decision. Furthermore, they formulate a list of goals they need to prosper professionally and academically. Hence, they make a list of pros and cons as well as evaluate their current academic status by judging the grades. In addition to this, a proper plan is constructed to combat all the obstacles that you might face in achieving your ambitions.
- Ideal courses:It is a dream of every parent to watch their child prosper in a traditionally accepted academic domain. In this case, students are forced to take courses in science and mathematics, even if they don’t necessarily excel in those domains. However, due to these reasons, students never truly study the courses they truly find fascinating. Such courses are considered unconventional. However, a career counsellor can help the parent understand the true potential of their child in that specific field. For example, if a child doesn’t want to study literature, he or she doesn’t have to acquire help from the write my essay cheap facility again and again. They can study environmental studies if that is their core subject.
Hence, it can be concluded that a career counsellor is a vital source of guidance and encouragement for students in need of it.